I am so excited to begin building the countertop. Not just for the purpose of having a counter top and a functioning spot but also because I am pumped to learn how to do it. This is all very new to me and I get to try out some new tools I have not experienced before. Plus this will be my second last post before I share my final product! YAY! The thing with our countertop is that I am copying other counters we had made for our bootbench and laundry room area. Due to this I relied on my contractor a lot to help me with how he did it to try and match the same look. I was still able to learn through youtube but it required some next step guidance from Chris. I will try and keep it short.
I had to buy the same wood from Rona. I tried to pick the best ones with smooth edges and lots of knots for a interesting look when things were all complete. Once we got the two pieces we got to start cutting them down to size. This is where I got to research how to use a Plunge Saw. The nice thing was I found a video for the exact saw I would be using:
I required my contractor, Chris, help with the set up. Since I am using his tools I felt it was only fair to make sure I didn’t wreck them. I helped him through the process and he was a great teacher. He reviewed how to use the saw and sent me on my way. The first cut was to make the two straight edges in the middle of the boards. This would be where we connect the two boards together to make the full width of the counter. The reason we are doing this is because then it matches the other areas of the house and it was cost effective, especially with lumber prices these days and would do the trick for what we needed. Cutting these two straight edges was pretty simple. Measure both sides to make sure we are straight. Confirm with a level and cut.
Once I was done making the two straight edges. We moved on to cutting the edges. We cut them at 45 degree angles. The pieces we cut off will then be used as the last piece of the puzzle. They will go on to make a 90 degree edge. By doing this the counter will appear thicker than it actually is. We had to adjust the angle of the saw but it still attaches to the track in the same way. It was a little awkward to hold at first because I am not comfortable with the saw but I got the hang of it and gained confidence as we moved forward.
The next step was to create the biscuit cuts to join the two sections together. I felt a little nervous about this task because I knew I needed to have the cuts line up correctly for the seam between the boards to not show. I wanted to make sure I did my research and came in prepared. The video I found on youtube seemed to clarify the process for me. Check it out here. For this I borrowed a special tool from Chris. It is specifically used to create this style of cut. It was fairly simple to use. I measure out the distant I need and made the ticks on the board. Then I lined up the tool and cut.
Gluing and Clamping:
The next step was to add some glue to each biscuit and shove them in the nice new holes I made. All of them fit in perfectly. I was pretty pumped. I then ran a bead of glue along the other board and squished the two together. I got Chris and my husband to help hold them in place as we add some clamps to hold everything in place while the glue dried. We left them overnight to dry. The next day I took the clamps off and cut the board down to the length we needed. This was a little nerve racking as I wanted to make sure I was not off on my measurements and cut it too short. Once the cut was done we took it inside to see how it looked. It was a pretty darn good fit. A slight gap since the walls weren’t perfectly flat but overall I am happy with the fit.
The final steps are coming up. We need to cut the width to the width we want, put the supporting brackets under the counter, add the edges all around to make the counter appear thicker than it is and then stain it all and apply a finishing sealer coat. Seems like a lot but a lot of the prep work is already done. Our base is fairly level so we won’t need to shim the counter much at all so that is exciting. I really cannot wait to see this all come together in the next week! Thanks again for following along!